My Little City Blog

Nights and days pass in Gotham. Each area is distinct and posing its own reality…coffee shop, pizza parlor, and dry cleaners…all the same but different…in that they create many different realities. This blog is my reality.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

My Family Part 3



This first picture is of a Burro. We tend to get these things at the local market or on trips to Mexico when we drive across the border. There is nothing more that says you are Mexican than if you have one of these in your front lawn or in your garden.



I took this picture in my father's moving F-150 truck. As you can see...my hometown is just beautiful. If you click on the picture you can probably get a better view of the rolling mountains that are located in my town. But if you are wondering if all those hues of green were done with photo shop...nope...that is just home being home.



This picture is three prong. First is the rolling mountains again. Aren't they just beautiful? Nuff said. Then if you look real close you can see a white line at the foot of the mountains. Those are flower green houses. Our area is well known for its flowers also. These companies tend to be run by Japanese families that have lived in the area since they were released from the WWII camps. Then you see raspberry fields. I grew up working in these fields and I worked in the fields until my second year of college. I know, I know, sounds odd but there was no fancy internship for me...just good hard labor.



This is one of my favorite pictures. Yep, the good old nopal tree. Every home or side of the road has to have one. This was taken on the side of road but we do have one of these at my home. A bit smaller but none the less...and like the Donkey above, no Mexican home is complete with out at least one cactus. And if you have a Mexican friend who doesn't have at least one cactus plant at their home....well then they ain't really Mexican. Not a stereotype...just speaking the truth people.



This picture is my mother with her comadre, Cindi. Cindi is a wife, 3rd grade teacher, social activist, community activist, artist (both theater and paint), and she is family. Cindi and her husband David have been married for many years and have settled in this little town called San Juan Bautista. A cute little mission town where their home has been deemed a state landmark. I obviously can rant and rave about both David and Cindi but in the end what I can say is not only are they friends but they are family and nothing trumps that. In any case, this picture was taken at Cindi's birthday party.



Yes, it is true...country folk do tend to pull out the violin at parties. For those of you who are thinking of learning Spanish. The guy on the violin is like 100% white and he sang Cindi an old Mexican Folk song for her birthday...yes, in Spanish. OK so he grew up in a Mexican town and all...but there is hope if you want to learn Spanish.



Here is my Mom and some guy in Cindi's acting troop raising the roof. Yes, we party morning, noon and night.



Oh, I took this picture for Pauly Drama. But Did I mention that Cindi and David are also Dead Heads.



I saved this picture for last for several reasons. But the first and most important is that you know that you are at a Mexican birthday when the Virgin de Guadalupe is the candle on the cake.

In closing, I hope you have gotten a glimpse of my people and what makes me...well...The Rooster. Good family, good friends, and love. I wanted to thank my Mommy and Daddy for putting up with me on my visit. Uncle Joe for driving up from LA to keep the family bond strong...and also all our family friends who have known me since I was a kid and always take time to make the trip to my parents to see me to say hello.

1 Comments:

At 6:39 AM, Blogger Derek McG said...

love the pic of that donkey. haha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home