My Little City Blog

Nights and days pass in Gotham. Each area is distinct and posing its own reality…coffee shop, pizza parlor, and dry cleaners…all the same but different…in that they create many different realities. This blog is my reality.

Monday, July 02, 2007

My People

The following three posts will be about my family and my trip home in early May. It was such a special trip for so many different reasons that the trip deserves at least three posts.

I haven't written in a long while about my people. I really do think that they deserve more ink on my city blog so I am going to post a lot about them and who we are. When you grow up in close quarters where everyone knows everyone there is a code of silence that takes place where one doesn't give away too much information about the inner-circle. It is a code that is known and nobody talks about. I don't think it is just a Mexican thing but maybe more a small town country thing.

The following pictures were taken of my family on my trip home. I hope this might give you a little glimpse of me and where I'm from.



This picture is of me and my folks. What can I say, they have always been there for me through thick and thin. I know that a lot of people say that and it is probably true, most parents will go to no end for thier children. Myself, well lets just say that as a youth I pushed that envelope as far as it could be pushed. Yet, no matter how much I pushed it they were always in my corner.



This is myself, random bar girl, Uncle Joe (sitting next to her) and of course David Rodriguez. I can go on and out about my Uncle Joe but I will get to him in post number 2. But about my buddy Dave...first, we go back...I mean way back. Through all the years there is one thing about Dave that I have always respected above and beyond everything, he respects the sacred oath of friendship. Even as kids Dave was the one guy who really understood this oath...no matter who he was dating, where he had to be, and whoever his newer friends were, Dave never broke that sacred oath. Dave might seem like a guy who might break when under the hot light, but there is one thing that Dave never was and never will be, A Fucken Rat...his bond is thick as blood. Thank you for being my friend, Dave.



Speaking of oaths and friendship. The following picture is of my Dad who recently had to lay one of his good friends to rest. I can't comment too much on this topic because I don't know all the details (and I think I would be out of line by saying too much), but I think my father was rather upset that Big Dave didn't get the proper send-off that he deserved. Big Dave was a long-time fixture at my house and a huge fight fan. On this night of the DeLaHoya v. Mayweather fight, my Dad gathered everyone in the back yard to give Dave the proper 10 count. To those who don't know the significance of the 10 count, well it is kind of the highest honor a boxer can get after he passes.

My father said something to this extent: "As we all know Big Dave passed and I want to give him the proper 10 count that he deserves. Because we were all fans of Big Dave, as we know he was a big fight fan and a fighter in life...and every fan deserves to send off one of their favorite fighters so I would like to send Big Dave off with a 10 count."

My Dad said it much better, but it gave me a rare glimpse of my Dad. As strong of a statement as it was and an honor for him to perform the 10 count, it showed me a softer side of my Dad that one doesn't see on display for the pulic.





These two picture are of my little cousins. What can I say, good looks run in the family. Both of these girls are my heart not only because they are family, but because they just have hearts of gold. I hadn't really seen them in years but they were quick with a hug, quick to catch me up about their lives, and all that I had missed out on these past years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home