My Little City Blog

Nights and days pass in Gotham. Each area is distinct and posing its own reality…coffee shop, pizza parlor, and dry cleaners…all the same but different…in that they create many different realities. This blog is my reality.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

D.C. Invades NYC Part I

J-Lo: Joaquin, the crew is coming to town this weekend…can you put us up?
Me: You know you always have a home here (in the back of mind I’m thinking of all weekends for scandal to breakout)
J-Lo: You sure, man? We don’t want to put you in an odd position.
Me: J-Lo…once again, you guys always have your home here.
J-Lo: Cool. We have a new member of the crew, Roberto.
Me: No problem (ITBOM – Shit, a new crazy guy to add to the crew…this weekend will equal nothing but sin)

As emails start to flow back and forth I’m thinking…crap, this is going to happen and it’s going to be ugly. Guys show up and Anita is laughing because I’m giving her the warning that it’s going to be a barnburner with the boys. She laughs about the whole thing and wishes me luck.

Roll Call Upon Arrival:
Joaquin “J-Lo, Little Joaquin” Lopez
Lee “Big Red” Morrison
Roberto “Mr. Michigan” Rodriguez

I had the boys pick up some pre-drinks on the way here because drinks are so pricey here in NYC. To my surprise they show up with a case of Presidente (which is a great beer…thanks Mr. Michigan for the suggestion) and of course a huge bottle of Rum. Hugs are exchanged and the boys are surprisingly antsy after a drive from Washington. Off to a Time Out sports bar to see the Jets…CHOKE! Damn! The boys are excited and are putting down pitcher after pitcher…I count a total of about 10 pitchers…plus pre-drinks at my pad and we are doing o.k. They even start rooting for the JETS! J-E-T-S Jets!Jets!Jets! Surprise, surprise UCLA is playing Arizona so we stay for the game and meet with the girls from the class of 2003…yes, we are getting very old. In the madness we are taking shots…it’s getting ugly. Geez…as I said, this weekend is going to sin.

Big Red says that we should get back home…I’m thinking…good thinking and someone is thinking correct. Then he mentions that we should get back and have some more drinks before we go out. You see where this is going.

Get home and down more beers before out to the meatpacking. Off to Lateran down in the MPD. I take notice that Big Red and Mr. Michigan enjoy Jack and Coke. This could be a good sign or a bad one, in this case it’s a very bad sign. We couldn’t get into Son Cubanos so we went to some other local bar. Big Red being the gracious guy he is gets everyone a Jack and Coke...me being the greedy drunk...I tell him to pour two of those in a pint glass for me. Nuff said.

We end up at the SOHO Grand Hotel where everything becomes a big blur...Anita sees us trashed and starts laughing. Joaquin keeps telling me...I'm pulling out the Champania! I didn't get the joke until the next night.

I wake up the next morning...nuff said. As I said, this was going to be a crazy one. I think the drink count went as follows:

Pre-Game Drinks: 3 Beers each at my pad
Time Out Drinks: Aprox. 10 pitchers, 2 rounds of shots, and one jack and coke.
2 round of pre-drinks: 2 Beers each at my house
Meat Packing: 6 Rounds of Jack and Cokes
SOHO Grand: 2 Beers and some Fine Champania

Day 2 in my next post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home